Monday, August 14, 2006

Experience as a patient 2

I did not have much illness when I was a child but soon after starting my clinical studies I developed a pilonidal sinus which is a sweat gland that does not open to the air and becomes recurrently infected. It is usually situated in the skin near the anus at the base of the coccyx. It has been known, in the USA army as “Geep’s arse” as there is a possible association with lots of driving. I put up with these recurrent infections for 3 or more years taking antibiotics prescribed by my GP for the flare ups. Towards the end of an appointment as a House Officer in the Accident and Emergency Department of the London Hospital in the east end of London, I developed a terrific flare up and I could neither stand, sit or sleep properly. I was admitted under the care of Sir Alan Parks, an eminent bowel surgeon. One of the perks of working at the London was that medical staff could be admitted to the private wing (Fielden House). There was superb food with a choice from a different menu each day. The operation took place in the main hospital. I was given a premedication injection and had a last cigarette smoking it with my head out of the window. I was put on a trolley and wheeled up the street and into the main building. I was wearing a sort of shroud and white socks for this and greeted my friends as I passed. I had the operation and the somewhat large wound was left open to heal by what is known as granulation rather than having stitches. I had heard that sometimes one had to let this heal by lying on one’s stomach for 2 weeks with a weight attached to each buttock and hanging down each long side of the bed. Fortunately I was allowed to lie on my side without any wires sewn into me. I was in some pain the first night and asked the sister for a couple of paracetamol. She decided because the wound looked so awful that I should have an injection of pethidine. That was a really lovely injection. I can see how people get hooked. I also realise that pain can be in the eye of the beholder.
I had it really cushy in that private room. I had bottles of booze, fruit and nibbles and a television. Mr Parkes (he was knighted after my operation) complained to me that I never offered him a drink when he did his evening round. There was a thing at the London called the Rectal Club. If, as a student working with Mr Parks, one did 50 rectal examinations on patients or a sigmoidoscopy one was entitled to have a rectal club tie. I was told that since I had had an operation by Mr Parks I was entitled to a tie. I never claimed it. Mr Parks’ surgical house officer when I was in was in our year and was called Tony Matthie. He kindly put a couple of bets on horses for me so I could watch the races on the TV. When he saw me immediately after the operation, he told me it had been so interesting that a film had been made for teaching purposes. I believed him for a few seconds! Tony Matthie became the treasurer of the Royal College of General Practitioners and the Director of Postgraduate General Practice Education for the Liverpool Deanery. I met him in 2002 at the college and spoke to him. He did not recognise me and gave the impression that he had never heard of me. Such is fame!!
I had applied for a job as lecturer in physiology and one of my heroes, Dr W R Keatinge (reader and soon to become professor) interviewed me while I was in the bed in my pyjamas! I got the job and will tell you about it sometime.
In the room opposite me was a consultant physician who was having a piles operation. After operations such as that and mine one had daily salt baths. He came in to see me shortly after his operation. He said he was embarrassed to ask something of the sister as he was a consultant. He wanted to know how much salt one was supposed to put in a salt bath. I had no idea but I said I would ask. The main sister was rather ferocious but I asked her and the answer was “to taste”.
I found the whole experience fascinating and actually had a great rest after working so hard as a houseman for 11 months. I did not want to leave the ward. Indeed, when I was told I could go home one afternoon I asked if I could stay and have the evening meal as I was looking forward to the trout. I was allowed to stay and went after dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home